To get directions enter your address and right click on the desired marker.
Parish Priest: Fr. P.J. Bracken
Tel: (090) 967 5116
The first reference to Kilquain (now called Quansboro) is in the Collectania Hibernica where Ulick McHoog is mentioned as being canon of Kilquain in 1668. The Registry of Meelick says that, in 1751 A.D. Father James Madden was interred at Meelick. He filled the office of Guardian many times and was Parish Priest of Meelick and Fahy for nearly fifty years. He had been ordained in Kilkenny in 1686. The Registry also mentions that in 1786 A.D. Fr Thomas Broder, Parish Priest of Meelick and Fahy, died. There is also a reference in the 'Index of Clonfert Wills' to Fahy and Meelick being one Parish in 1800. It's clear that for much of the 18th century, Meelick and Fahy was one parish.
The first mention of 'Fahy and Quansboro' is in the Catholic Directory of 1846. The term 'Quansboro' has changed over the years. 'Queenboro' is mentioned in the Catholic Directory of 1836. In the following year the word 'Queensborough' is used. In 1843 it's 'Quinsboro' and in 1844 & 1845 it's 'Quansboro'. Although 'Fahy and Quansboro' is used in the Directories of 1846 and 1847, in the following year, 1848, the term 'Kilquain and Meelick' is used. But from 1849, the parish was called 'Fahy and Kilquain', 'Fahy and Quansboro' or simply 'Fahy'.
Tel: (091) 841201
Kilnadeema extends far across the hills of Sliabh Aughty. Its name is interpreted locally as the little churches of Saint Dympna. The local well is dedicated to her memory. This is a rural parish on the other side of the lake from the town of Loughrea.
Tel: (090) 968 5613
Mobile: (086) 344 9345
The parish of Lawrencetown and Kiltormer has two Holy Wells, Tobar Mhuire in Ballymore in Lawrencetown and Saint Patrick's Well near the new cemetery in Kiltormer. When the churches were being built, they were dedicated to these two saints, so Lawrencetown church (pictured right) is Saint Mary's and Kiltormer church (below right) is Saint Patrick's.
This parish consists of the people from the two villages of Lawrencetown and Kiltormer and the surrounding area. Lawrencetown has a very active Community Enterprise Company and they have their own prize-winning website where you will find the Parish Newsletters for the past twelve months. Kiltormer gives its name to the local GAA club (which also includes the neighbouring parish of Clontuskert) and the Kiltormer hurling team has produced many top-class players and won many trophies down the years.